Data Engineer III
Taco Bell is instituting a COVID-19 vaccination mandate for health and safety reasons. Effective January 3, 2022, Taco Bell requires that corporate employees are fully vaccinated against COVID-19 as a condition of employment, subject to reasonable accommodation as required by law.
Who is Taco Bell?
Taco Bell Corp., a subsidiary of Yum! Brands, Inc. (NYSE: YUM), is the world’s largest Mexican-inspired quick service restaurant (QSR) brand. From breakfast to late night, Taco Bell serves customizable tacos,burritosand quesadillas, among othercraveablechoices like theCrunchwrapSupreme®and Nacho Fries. Taco Bell offersa wide variety ofplant-based menu itemsand was the first QSR brand to offer American Vegetarian Association (AVA)-certified menu items.
Taco Bell and its more than 350 franchise organizations proudly serve over 42 million customers each week through over 7,000 restaurants, as well as through its mobileanddesktoptouchpointsandviadelivery ordering services. Internationally, Taco Bell has over 600 restaurants, with plans to add 2,000 more restaurants in the next decade.Much of Taco Bell’s everlasting appeal with its fans and legendary connection in lifestyle culture are rooted incutting-edge, buzzy marketing campaigns. From helicoptering 10,000 Doritos Locos Tacos to residents of remote Bethel, Alaska, to selling out “The Bell Hotel”—aTaco Bell-themed resort hotel—in less than two minutes, the brand continues to pushindustryboundaries.
Taco Bell is equally focused on creating a positive impact on the world in fresh ways through Food, People and Planet initiatives. One example is through supporting theTaco Bell Foundation, which encouragesrestaurant team membersand fansto pursuetheireducationalpassions through programs such as the Live Más Scholarship.According to Harris Poll, Taco Bell has been named America’s Best Mexican-Food Restaurant for two back-to-back years and has been named “Most Innovative Company” byFast CompanyandtoppedEntrepreneur’s“Franchise 500”listfor two years in a row.
Taco Bell is working on significantly accelerating digital growth in 2022 and beyond, and we are looking for talented individuals to help us accomplish our big goals. Our fans continue to adopt digital ordering channels (Mobile, Web, Kiosks, Delivery) as we set global digital sales records across all our regions in 2021 with$2.12 billion in digital sales and 149 million transactions.
About the Job:
Taco Bell is seeking to add a savvy Data Engineer to join our growing Data and Analytics team. We are looking for a self-driven Data Engineer proficient with SQL & ETL pipelines who is familiar with Cloud technology preferably AWS and has scripting experience. You will work with cross functional partners and third-party vendors to enrich our customer data assets by acquiring, organizing, and aggregating customer data from various sources to construct a full and accurate 360 view of our customer for use in direct/email marketing, targeted media campaigns and analytics. You will build data pipelines to source, analyze and validate data from internal and external customer data sources. This is a great opportunity to work on state-of-the-art data products in a friendly and fun environment.
Our ideal candidate has a breadth of analytics experience, strong technical skills, an evolving understanding of common technologies, and is capable of decomposing complex problems into addressable components or digestible analyses while maintaining a keen eye on the relevant business objective(s); their core responsibilities include but are not exclusive to:
- Design and develop highly scalable and extensible data pipelines from internal and external sources using cloud technology such as AWS, Airflow, Redshift, EMR.
- Implement new source of truth datasets, in partnership with analytics and business teams.
- Collaborate with data product managers, data scientists, data analysts, and data engineers to document requirements and data specifications.
- Develop,deploy, and maintain serverless data pipelines using Event Bridge, Kinesis, AWS Lambda, S3, and Glue.
- Focus on performance tuning, optimization and scalability to ensure efficiency.
- Build out a robust big data ingestion framework with automation, self-heal capabilities and ability to handle data drifts.
- Adopt automated and manual test strategies to ensure productquality
- Learn and understand howTaco Bellproducts work and help build end-to-endsolutions.
- Ensure high operational efficiency and quality of your solutions to meet SLAs.
- Actively participate in code reviews and summarize complex data into usable, digestible datasets.
Is This You?
- Bachelor’s degree in analytics, statistics, engineering, math, economics, computer science, information technology or related discipline
- 2+ years professional experience in the big data space
- 2 - 5 years of experience designing and delivering large scale, 24-7, mission-critical data pipelines and features using modern big data architectures
- 2+ years of hands-on experience in Strong coding skills with Python/Pyspark/Spark and SQL
- 3+ years of hands-on experience in ETL pipeline such as Informatica, AWS Glue etc.
- 3+ years of experience working in Redshift or other relevant databases.
- Expert knowledge in writing complex SQL and ETL development with experience processing extremely large datasets.
- Demonstrated ability to analyze large data sets to identify gaps and inconsistencies, provide data insights, and advance effective product solutions
- Experience integrating data using streaming technologies such as Kinesis Firehose, Kafka
- Experience with AWS Ecosystem, especially Redshift,Athena, DynamoDB, Airflowand S3
- Experience integrating data from multiple data sources and file types such as JSON, Parquetand Avro formats.
- Experience supporting and working with cross-functional teams in a dynamic environment
- Strong quantitative and communication skill
- Experience withCI/CD toolslikeGitlab, Terraform
- Proficiency with automated testing using tools like pytest
- Experience with customer data platforms such as Amperity and MarTech platforms
- Experience contributing to full lifecycle deployments with a focus on testing and quality.
- Experience with data quality processes, data quality checks, validations, data quality metrics definition and measurement
- Experience in data quality tools such as Informatica DQ or similar.
Why Taco Bell?
We truly believe that where you work matters, and we know a thing or two about what makes employees happy. Join us on our mission of feeding people’s lives with más!
- Year-round Flex day Fridays
- Free snacks, drinks and bagel & donut Fridays
- Onsite childcare through Bright Horizons
- Onsite dining center and game room (yes, there is a Taco Bell inside the building)
- Onsite dry cleaning, laundry services, carwash, Booster gas delivery
- Onsite gym with fitness classes
- 4 weeks of vacation per year plus holidays and time off for volunteering
- Tuition reimbursement and education benefits
- Discounts for life’s adventures (ex: theme parks, wireless plans, etc.)
- Generous parental leave for all new parents and adoption assistance program
- Opportunity to taste test new products
- 401(k) with a 6% matching contribution fromYum! Brands with immediate vesting
- Comprehensive medical and dental including prescription drug benefits and 100% preventive care
- Healthcare and dependent care flexible spending accounts
- Opportunities to support the Taco Bell Foundation’s educational initiatives and programs.
- Recognition based culture and unique, fun events year round (recess at work, Halloween Spooktacular, employee art show benefiting Taco Bell Foundation, etc.)
*Please note that some perks/amenities may not be available and/or may be modified at the Company’s sole discretion during the COVID-19 temporary work-from-home period.
Benefits at Yum!
Most of the employee programs and benefits are applicable in the U.S. Internationally, benefits are tailored by market and role. Check with your hiring team to see which ones apply to your job in your market.