Database Administrator, SRE (Remote, Plano, Chicago, or Louisville)
Yum Brands, Inc is looking for a talented database administrator to join our rapidly growing SRE team working on Yum’s next-generation global commerce platform. Yum Brands is the largest restaurant operator in the world and is actively building an eCommerce platform backend that can be scaled to meet our global business needs across four major brands (Taco Bell, KFC, Pizza Hut, and Habit) in 140+ international markets. As a DBA on the site reliability engineering team, you will have the opportunity to work on and solve large technology problems relating to how we deploy, scale, & optimize databases on a truly global scale.
In this role, you will be designing and maintaining a variety of database and data storage solutions that are critical to our eCommerce & POS services. You will also help design and architect multi-region disaster recovery solutions, automated schema migrations, database optimization, RBAC, and a whole lot more.
This role requires a combination of team collaboration, technical analysis, and database administration skills. The ideal person in this role will be able to work effectively alongside software developers, product owners, engineering managers, and project managers to articulate their thoughts on the best way to approach solving multifaceted data problems. The ideal candidate will be able to be given a complex data engineering problem to solve and work out an approach without the need for a lot of direct oversight.
• Attend Agile ceremony meetings such as sprint planning, sprint retrospectives, daily standups, etc.
• Create technical design documents and share them with engineering leads to develop buy-in.
• Implement cloud-native database technologies for new services as they come online
• Own the health, integrity, and security of multiple data services in production & lower environments
• Participate in an on-call schedule to cover support incidents that occur outside of normal business hours.
• Architect database solutions that achieve 99.95%+ uptime
• Assist in the building of a database migration automation service that allows schema changes to be version controlled and rolled back in the event of a failure.
• Build a multi-regional cloud-native database solution that allows us to implement Active-Passive and eventually Active-Active serving of API traffic
You have (required):
• BS in Computer Science/Engineering or equivalent experience
• 7+ years of overall technical experience in database administration, software engineering, dev ops, site reliability engineer, architecture, etc. with at least 3years in a database administration/engineering role working with popular ACID & BASE DBS
• A good understanding of Postgres (or other RDBMS), Couchbase, and Cassandra
• Familiarity with scaling database size/performance up as data grows
• Experience with large datasets (millions of rows)
• Familiarity with sharding and partitioning
• Experience with public clouds like AWS/GCP
• The ability to participate in a 24/7 on call rotation
• Strong written and verbal communication skills
• Experience with database performance tuning and query optimization.
You might have (preferred):
• Experience with cloud-native monitoring technologies such as Prometheus & ELK.
• Deep understanding of message streaming & core database technologies like Kafka, Postgres, and Couchbase
• The ability to produce high-quality technical documentation using tools like Confluence & Draw.IO.
• General knowledge of deploying, scaling, and maintaining microservices at scale.
• Some experience with Microsoft SQL server, Redis and Elasticsearch
• Familiarity with ORM technologies (ex: KNEX, hibernate, GORM)
The Yum! Brands story is simple. We have the three distinctive, relevant and easy global brands – KFC, Pizza Hut and Taco Bell -- born from the hopes and dreams, ambitions and grit of passionate entrepreneurs. And we want more of this to create our future!
As the world’s largest restaurant company we have a clear and compelling mission: to build the world’s most love, trusted and fastest-growing restaurant brands. The key and not-so-secret ingredient in our recipe for growth is our unrivaled talent and culture, which fuels our results.
We’re looking for talented, motivated, visionary and team-oriented leaders to join us as we elevate and personalize the customer experience across our 48,000 restaurants, operating in 145 countries and territories around the world!
We put pizza, chicken and tacos in the hands of customers through customized ordering, unique delivery approaches, app experiences, and click and collect services and consumer data analytics creating unique customer dining experiences – and we are only getting started.
Employees may work for a single brandand potentially grow to support all company-owned brands depending on their role. Regardless of where they work, as a company opening an average of 8 restaurants a day worldwide, the growth opportunities are endless. Taco Bell has been named of the 10 Most Innovative Companies in the World by Fast Company; Pizza Hut delivers more pizzas than any other pizza company in the world and KFC’s still use its 75-year-old finger lickin’ good recipe including secret herbs and spices to hand-bread its chicken every day.
Yum! and its brands have offices inChicago, IL,Louisville KY, Irvine, CA,Plano, TXand other markets around the world. We don’t just say we are a great place to work – our commitments to the world and our employees show it. Yum! has been named to the Dow Jones Sustainability North America Index and ranked among the top 100 Best Corporate Citizens by Corporate Responsibility Magazine in addition to being named to the Bloomberg Gender-Equality Index. Our employees work in an environment where the value of “believe in all people” is lived every day, enjoying benefits including but not limited to: 4 weeks’ vacation PLUS holidays, sick leave and 2 paid days to volunteer at the cause of their choice and a dollar-for-dollar matching gift program; generous parental leave; competitive benefits including medical, dental, vision and life insurance as well as a 6% 401k match – all encompassed in Yum!’s world-famous recognition culture.
Benefits at Yum!
Most of the employee programs and benefits are applicable in the U.S. Internationally, benefits are tailored by market and role. Check with your hiring team to see which ones apply to your job in your market.
Yum! Brands RSC, 1441 Gardiner Ln, Louisville, KY 40213, 502.874.8300