Sr. Android Engineer - eCommerce Platform
Who we are:
Our story might surprise you. We’re the world’s largest restaurant company—encompassing KFC, Pizza Hut, and Taco Bell—but there’s a lot more going on behind the scenes than just frying chicken, baking pizzas, and serving up tacos. We put this delicious food in the hands of customers through apps, websites, kiosks, POS, and other digital dining experiences – and we are only getting started. Here in Chicago, we’re building out a bold team of hackers to help Yum! Brands deliver the next generation of software to 50,000 restaurants in more than 145 countries. That’s a huge responsibility, which is why we’re on a mission to find the most fearless engineers to join our software startup within Yum!.
Yum!'s vision for the future is simple: a world with more Yum!: with our iconic brands in more places, and more ways for consumers to access them. The key and not-so-secret ingredient in our recipe for growth is our unrivaled talent and culture, which fuels our results. And like all companies who win consistently, our brands, employees, and franchisees will need to continually adjust to stay relevant now and in the future. The software we’re building does just that: it serves people in new ways to make team members more productive and customers happier.
What we need:
Our dynamic eCommerce Platform team is rapidly growing as we optimize our digital ordering channels and technology innovations to create competitive advantages for our restaurants around the globe. We are seeking Android Engineers to develop both consumer-facing and enterprise operational applications for the restaurant industry. Our ideal candidates can bring fresh ideas from their own experience and are eager to tackle new problems across the stack. In this role, expect to use the latest frameworks and contribute to them as needed. Our suite of applications leverages peer to peer replication, network service discovery, and embedded web services to create a robust and resilient experience for our end users.
- Be building an Android-based point-of-sale and operations platform that is anything but your typical consumer-facing Android app
- Have the opportunity to work on applications that go above and beyond the standard use of Android + RESTful web services
- Solve problems with new and emerging technologies, including distributed databases, real-time syncing, message queues, and distributed transactions
- A bachelor’s degree in Computer Science/Computer Engineering or equivalent experience
- Published native android apps in your portfolio
- Expert knowledge of the Android SDK, including high-level components (activities, fragments, services) and AndroidX components
- Experience building Android applications with both Java and Kotlin
- Experience developing with standard Android libraries like RxJava, Dagger, Retrofit, Butterknife, etc.
- Experience with Mobile application design patterns (MVP, MVVM)
- Experience with Android unit testing frameworks (Mockito, Espresso)
- Experience deploying internationalized applications with support for multiple languages, currencies, and address types
- Experience architecting solutions to complex problems
- Experience architecting and building libraries, SDK, and tools for internal and external consumption
- Experience and/or willingness to lead a development pod consisting of 1-4 developers
- Ability to self-direct and prioritize work for other developers
- Willingness to own/manage specific aspects of the development process, including implementation, testing, or deployment (CI/CD)
- Startup experience
- Ecommerce experience
- Experience building payment systems
- Experience building and consuming RESTful services
- Experience with peer to peer networks and building distributed systems
- Experience with both SQL and NoSQL databases, knowledge of their tradeoffs
- Experience integrating with hardware peripherals, including printers and payment terminals
- Experience customizing the Android OS and deploying it on x86 hardware
- Experience with whitelabeling and using build variants/flavors in Android
- Familiarity with GraphQL
- Familiarity with RabbitMQ or Kafka
- Experience and/or willingness to mentor and guide junior developers
- Social proof of your passion for software development (blog, personal apps or websites, meetup presentations, community involvement)
A few of our perks:
- 4 weeks of vacation PLUS holidays
- 5 sick days
- 2 paid volunteer days
- 401k matching
- Medical, dental, vision
- Life insurance
- Half day Fridays
- Generous parental leave
- A world-famous recognition culture
Benefits at Yum!
Most of the employee programs and benefits are applicable in the U.S. Internationally, benefits are tailored by market and role. Check with your hiring team to see which ones apply to your job in your market.
Yum! Brands RSC, 1441 Gardiner Ln, Louisville, KY 40213, 502.874.8300